Main Article Content
Essential oil of nutmeg (Myristica fragrans houtt) is one of the many potentials of nutmeg that has a high economic value although in North Sulawesi it has not been exploited to its full potential. This research was conducted to compare the yield and properties of Nutmeg oil extract from the seeds and mace of Talaud and North Minahasa-North Sulawesi. The oil extract was obtained by distillation and was further characterized in terms of color, solubility in ethanol, density, optical rotation, refractive index. Results of this research exhibited that oil of the mace of nutmeg from Talaud had a lighter appearance in color compared to that from North Minahasa, while the density of oil extracted from North Minahasa was more densed compared to Talaud in both seed and mace (0.923 and 0.938 respectively at 25°C). The reflective index of nutmeg oil from North Minahasa was slightly higher than of Talaud both from seed and mace (1.4834 and 1.493 at 25°C), while the optical rotations of oil extracted from the mace were between +6.90° to +9.80° and from the seed were +20.73° to +22.30°.
Author are free to:
- Share— copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt— remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
Under the following terms:
- Attribution— Author must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- ShareAlike— If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- No additional restrictions— You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
- You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
- No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rightsmay limit how you use the material.